Web Analytics
Gå til innhold
  • Bli medlem

Roter Fan-Fret 8 string repair picstory

Anbefalte innlegg

I thought some of you might be interested in a long picstory I just wrote on the refurbishing of a poorly built Roter 8 string that I just finished for a friend out in Sandnes...you might get a chuckle from it.

Min lenke

If the mods don't want me to link to another guitar forum, please feel free to remove it. It's just so big (76 pics!), that most places wouldn't be happy about me posting something that large....smile.gif

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

dear god, that was a REALLY badly built guitar... The company looks even more shady if you look at their homepages, looks like a guy running the shop out of his garage :P

What does these guitars cost? They cant be expensive, with this shitty build quality?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Wow, I didn´t know it was that bad.

I bought Mortens other Q-Tuner and he shipped them both down to Roter.

Obviously I had one of these guitars in mind too, but wanted to wait and see how they actually turned out before ordering.

I asked Roter to ship the Q-tuner back to me after realizing that this deal indeed was to good to be true. They claim to have done so, but I´ll just have to wait and see.

Maybe it shows up, but I doubt it.

I´m shocked to see that Mortens guitar have the serial number of 24, that´s a lot of shitty guitars out there.

And that neck pocket... oh man..

Anyway, thanks for sharing Allen!

Hallstein: prisen var i området 1000$ inkl. frakt.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

AVH- vi har null problemer med at man linker til andre forum. :)

Og så vil jeg bare si at jeg er glad for at du ikke har fått kloa i noen av mine forsøk på gitarsnekring. På den annen side, har jeg aldri forsøkt å selge noen av de, heller.

Posten oser jo av kunnskap og erfaring. Veldig lærerik lesing.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

1000 dollar? For det der? Herregud, tar en Agile over det udyret der hvis jeg skal ha noe "billig" 8-strengs da. Det så jo mildt sagt jævlig ut.

Jeg tror vi alle er enige med deg der, men når denne prosessen begynte for ca to år siden fremsto 1000$ for en 8 strengs fanned fret som en god deal.

Det var også muligheter til å velge mellom noen få tresorter, man hadde visse valg i forhold til bånd osv, så egentlig en halvveis custom-gitar.

Når det er sagt, så finnes det ingen unskyldning for resultatet, og jeg hadde ikke tatt imot den selv om jeg hadde fått den, til det har jeg altfor dårlig plass.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

What a f...ed up cosntruction. I'd say my own DIY guitar, full of beginners mistakes as it is, still is a lot better than that.

One question:

What was/is it like to intonate? To me it looks like the nut has a slightly off angle compared to the fanning of the frets on the rest of the neck.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Og så vil jeg bare si at jeg er glad for at du ikke har fått kloa i noen av mine forsøk på gitarsnekring. På den annen side, har jeg aldri forsøkt å selge noen av de, heller.

Well, no need to hold back now. Regner vi ser dem på Finn i morra.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

What a f...ed up cosntruction. I'd say my own DIY guitar, full of beginners mistakes as it is, still is a lot better than that.

One question:

What was/is it like to intonate? To me it looks like the nut has a slightly off angle compared to the fanning of the frets on the rest of the neck.

A nightmare. I routed the nut slot exactly where the previous one was, and made some repositioning of the saddles instead. There were a few questionable fret spacings, but there was only so much I was willing to do to this guitar, as the neck was basically a lost cause, and I was only trying make it actually usable, rather that make it perfect.

Really, it should be sawed in half, call it a day, and make a whole new neck properly from scratch. You cannot polish a turd, as the saying goes. laugh.gif

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

A nightmare. I routed the nut slot exactly where the previous one was, and made some repositioning of the saddles instead. There were a few questionable fret spacings, but there was only so much I was willing to do to this guitar, as the neck was basically a lost cause, and I was only trying make it actually usable, rather that make it perfect.

Really, it should be sawed in half, call it a day, and make a whole new neck properly from scratch. You cannot polish a turd, as the saying goes. laugh.gif

Actually you can polish a turd, Mythbusters have shown.. hah. But i got sidetracked.

If the guitar was this shit, why would the customer pay you (he did pay you?) to fix what couldn't be properly fixed?

All credit to you for salvaging this guitar so it was playable again, but i think you know what i mean. Did the guitar have some sort of sentimental value to him?

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Actually you can polish a turd, Mythbusters have shown.. hah. But i got sidetracked.

If the guitar was this shit, why would the customer pay you (he did pay you?) to fix what couldn't be properly fixed?

All credit to you for salvaging this guitar so it was playable again, but i think you know what i mean. Did the guitar have some sort of sentimental value to him?

Actually, I waived my fee for Morten as he's a friend of mine, and he's been so ripped-off by these people, so I wanted to extend some goodwill his way.

Lenke til kommentar
Del på andre sider

Opprett en konto eller logg inn for å kommentere

Du må være et medlem for å kunne skrive en kommentar

Opprett konto

Det er enkelt å melde seg inn for å starte en ny konto!

Start en konto

Logg inn

Har du allerede en konto? Logg inn her.

Logg inn nå
  • Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

• Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive
  • Opprett ny...

Viktig informasjon

Dette nettstedet bruker cookies for å gi deg en best mulig brukeropplevelse Bruksvilkår.