Web Analytics
Gå til innhold
  • Bli medlem

TRS cable for Kemper. How do you call it in Norwegian?

Anbefalte innlegg

Hello everyone!

Sorry for writing in English but I just moved here and still have to learn the language.

I own a Kemper and so far I've used a guitar cable from the output into my scarlett USB interface. Now someone on the Kemper forum told me it's the wrong cable. What I need is a TRS cable. I guess I'd want a cable with two jacks for the left and right output of the Kemper and on the other side one jack to go into the interface.

I'd like to order this in Norway but if I type in TRS cable I get completely different cables. Can anyone help me? And where should I order it?

Tusen takk!!

Lenke til innlegg
Del på andre sider

hello, and welcome

what focusrite card do you have?

what was the point the guy who told you about the cable was making? stereo, or balanced?

some music stores online her ein norway:




Endret av mislykketmusikant
Lenke til innlegg
Del på andre sider


I have the focusrite scarlett solo.

So far I used a guitar cable from the Kemper master output into the instrument input on the scarlett. That way I unfortunately only got mono, but that's ok. Now someone replied on a different forum: "you should be using a TRS cable to connect to your interface. The instrument setting is if you are plugging the guitar directly into the interface. So the correct way is... a 1/4" TRS (NOT a common TS guitar) OR a XLR cable, "instrument" setting off if you are using the 1/4" input."

So apparently I wasn't supposed to use a guitar cable. But when I look up TRS cables here in Norway I don't really get a result. I assume she or he means something like this here: Photo

Lenke til innlegg
Del på andre sider

I use a Kemper with USB interface. And I use a normal guitar cable. I can’t see anything wrong with that. I use the monitor output or one of the main output (left or right) from the Kemper if a remember it correctly.

Maybe this is what you’re looking for? I don’t think that will give you a stereo signal though.


Endret av Evil_Caprino
Lenke til innlegg
Del på andre sider

Welcome to the forum! I think the Scarlett Solo instrument input is mono only, so you won't get stereo either way. You'll need a soundcard with two inputs for that. I don't know the Kemper, but I would think most sounds are mono with probable exceptions for some of the effects on top maybe? If however, there are stereo profiles on the Kemper, I'm sure you can set the output section to mono.

Another thing: Are you experiencing troubles with your sound by using just one output? Is the sound much different to using headphones out of the headphones output for example? 

Lenke til innlegg
Del på andre sider

if, however, his point was that you need some sort of balanced cable, you could try the xlr-xlr option. but unless you have the kemper placed a long way from where you are, and need a very long cable, that shouldnt really make a difference.

there is also a slim chance there is an impedance issue. you could check to see if a monitor cable would be better between the kemper and the soundcard.

Endret av mislykketmusikant
Lenke til innlegg
Del på andre sider

The point of me asking about the cable in the first place was to get the best sound out of my Kemper for recordings. While many stated they used guitar cables, I was also told that this was completely wrong. Now I'm a little worried about not getting the best out of my recordings. 

I also don't quite understand if I should press instrument "on" or "off" on my scarlett solo if I use a guitar cable. 

Stereo would be nice but isn't really necessary at this point.

The XLR-XLR option doesn't really work because it seems that the XLR on the scarlett is microphone only. Sounds horrible connected to the Kemper.

Lenke til innlegg
Del på andre sider

This is from the manual of my Scarlett Solo: 

"Set the INST switch ON (‘INST’ illuminates red) if you are connecting a musical instrument, e.g., a guitar in the example, using an ordinary 2-pole (TS) guitar jack.

Set the INST switch to OFF if you are connecting a line level source such as a keyboard, synthesiser or the balanced output of an external audio mixer via a 3-pole (TRS) jack. Note the jack socket accepts both TRS and TS types of jack plug."

Any idea what would be best for the Kemper then?


Lenke til innlegg
Del på andre sider
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/25/2020 at 8:28 PM, SunMaster said:

It's the type of connector used that determines what the switch should be set to, not what kind of equipment is connected.

I disagree. The line level determines.

@Kaschko As you quote from the scarlett manual, it supports TRS. TRS (tip ring sleeve) is a thing in Norway as well, I suggest you pick one up (TRS/TRS 6,3mm jack) at your local music/electronics store and set the inst switch to off on your scarlett.


Endret av Telemann
Added link
Lenke til innlegg
Del på andre sider
  • 2 weeks later...

Opprett en konto eller logg inn for å kommentere

Du må være et medlem for å kunne skrive en kommentar

Opprett konto

Det er enkelt å melde seg inn for å starte en ny konto!

Start en konto

Logg inn

Har du allerede en konto? Logg inn her.

Logg inn nå
  • Hvem er aktive   0 medlemmer

    Ingen innloggede medlemmer aktive

  • Opprett ny...

Viktig informasjon

Dette nettstedet bruker cookies for å gi deg en best mulig brukeropplevelse Bruksvilkår.